Saturday, June 7, 2008

How does your garden grow….


How does your garden grow….
In March we took a family trip to the garden center, to look at some trees that I was interested in planting in the front yard. When I was finished looking at the prices of the trees, my husband said that he wanted to look at a few things, so I took the little ones to look at flowers and he wandered around. A few minutes later he emerged from the greenery with two plants in hand. One plant was a blue grapevine, the other was a black berry vine. “I want to plant these in the garden” he told me. Now, we have lived in our house for about a year now and I think that we are just now getting settled. The previous owners must have had a wonderful garden, at one time. It is an enclosed structure that would make Martha Stewart proud, but now had become overgrow and out of control with the past year of neglect. But, he was bound and determined that he would have a bountiful crop of grapes and black berries.
So now we venture home with vines in hand and he and the girls spend the whole day working on our garden. Mason and I supervised and then took a nap. Supervising is very hard work you know.
The garden was cleaned out in a day and he planted his vines in the perfect spot. I then decided that the area is so large that we need to plant other things. So the next day, Mason and I head to Wal-Mart. They actually have a good little garden center, and I really didn’t want to spend a lot of money on plants that I would probably kill.
In the span of two weeks I had planted corn, squash, tomatoes, cantaloupe, and okra. Without any prep what so ever, I just put them in the ground and added a little mulch, and said a little prayer and watered the garden.
To my surprise we go out there every day to watch out little sprouts turn into little plants. Then to watch the beautiful flowers turn in to something that you can eat. As soon as McKenzie gets off the bus she runs to see what new things have grown that day. It has become a wonderful family project.
Now, what to do with the fruits of our labor????
-Cheers

3 comments:

Sandy said...

Hi Amy - thanks so much for visiting me! We love the fruits of our garden. Especially right now.

Great post! Darling daughter.

Unknown said...

Lucky you and all the yummy stuff to eat! My husband and I keep saying we should plant a garden but neither of us wants to do the work ha!

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

What a sweet girl you have! I wish I had a garden!! Maybe one day I will get to that.

On the drive bys, nope, I've never had any one say anything. But I am pretty discreet, I wait until I don't see any one around and then SNAP and run back to the car. Many times I stay in the car, but especially if my husband is with me I will jump out and run over for a better angle. It is hard to get a good shot while in the driver's seat so I do like to get out when I can. I oftentimes will take my camera on a walk with me so I can take a photo if I see something I like!

Thanks for stopping by!!!!

Happy day,
Melissa


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones